Thursday, August 7, 2008

Geocaching in the rain

Hello everyone.

I had today off so I thought that I would venture out into the great outdoors and try to find some newly posted geocaches. We have been caching for about 3 months and we have never been the first ones to find a new cache. Last night (Aug, 6) we spotted 5 new caches on the web site. So this morning I loaded the new Chevy pickup with the Geo Bag. Our Geo Bag has everything we need to go geocaching in it. It has two Garmin etrex GPS, a compass, some spare batteries, a couple of pencils, our camera and our trusty diecast64 car. We always take a photo of the cache with our diecast64 car. That way we can prove that we have been there.

Today I started out on the interstate and it started to rain. My first thought was "Great, no one else will be out here looking for these new cache's in the rain." Then I thought "What the heck am I doing out here in the rain?" The first three finds were pretty uneventful... Unless you count the constant downpour of rain. Then, as I was driving to the last two caches, I was following the guidance from the GPS and I turned down a "dirt" road. Well almost immediately I realized that this was a bad idea. I stopped and tried to reverse my course. Well did I mention that it was raining? So here I sit buried with my new truck (less than thee weeks old) stuck in the mud. Hey guess what... it's raining and I am on a "dirt" road. I guess I was lucky because I was only a few feet into the "dirt" road. But I was stuck. So after trying to get myself out for about 15 minutes I took the short walk to a farmers house about 1/4 of a mile away. There was a teen aged boy at home that helped me out. He did not have to get muddy because he could stand on the road and pull me out with no troubles. I guess I was lucky that someone was home. I would have had to use my new On Star button on the truck. I am sure they would have had a good laugh at that call.

After I got pulled out of the mud I made it to the last two caches and then drove home. By the time I got home it had stopped raining. I then spent about an hour cleaning out the mud from all over the inside of the truck. I washed the outside and was happy the day was over.

All in all, it was a good day for geocaching. I did five today and all of them were first to finds. Something that might not ever happen again.

aka Jeff

No comments: